Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack Review
If you are a moderate camper and you need a lot of space for your gear and accessories, look no further than the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack to suit your hiking needs.
Because it’s waterproof, you can use the backpack all year round. When you’re camping, expect the unexpected. You may encounter marshy swamps, extreme weather, or rugged topography.
Moreover, the 40-liter capacity is nothing to be sneezed at. You can extend your camping beyond the weekend and still be amazed that your backpack can hold more stuff.
With the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack, you can easily facilitate your hiking activity by packing the basic requirements like tents, food, a sleeping bag, clothes, footwear, and other necessary gear.
This backpack is particularly popular with today’s minimalist hikers.
What to Look for in a Hiking Backpack
Is the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack the right fit for you? These are the criteria are in looking for a camping backpack.
Fitting and Sizing.
Finding the right fit and size in a backpack is essential for comfort. If your backpack is too small or too large, the contents’ weight will not be distributed evenly. This may cause pressure on your back, making the backpack painful or difficult to carry.
Your torso’s length determines your backpack’s size, and each manufacturer has a fitting and measuring method. Manufacturers generally provide a range of sizes, indicating what torso length is covered. When you’re buying a backpack in-store, a sales associate can always help you.
When you want to buy a camping backpack, the bag’s capacity – measured in liters – should be a priority – and it is determined by two main factors. One is the trip’s length while the other is the gear you’re carrying.
For an overnight or single day trip, the capacity of the bag to purchase should be 20 to 30 liters. For 2- to 3-night weekends, get a backpack with a 30- to 50-liter capacity. For a 2- to 5-night trip, go for a bag with a capacity of 44 to 55 liters. When you’re planning a trip away for more than 5 nights, get a bag with a capacity of 55 liters or up.
As for the gear you’re carrying, whether you’re bringing in winter gear or camping gear, you may need more room or compartments in your backpack. Your needs may be different from others when determining the right backpack for you, and only you can determine what backpack features are best for you.
There’s also another factor to consider – whether you can or can’t use the backpack as a carry-on bag. This depends on the bus line or airline you’re boarding.
Features and Style.
Backpacks come in various styles, with each designed for specific purposes. For example, there are climbing packs for hiking and ski packs when you want to go skiing.
There are also backpacks having features affecting how the backpack can work for you. Some of these features include pack access, frame style, compartments and pockets, ventilation, attachment points, and padding.
Features Of The Mountaintop 40L Backpack
When you intend to camp for up to 5 nights in the wilderness and you intend to carry a lot of different gear, the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack can be right for you. Below are some of its features to entice you even more to get this backpack for your extended weekend camping trip.
The 40-liter capacity backpack has a front pocket with an inner mesh pouch. The main compartment can even accommodate a 17-inch laptop.
The backpack comes in colors including black, blue, dark red, fuchsia, gray, khaki, orange, and sky blue.
- Bearing System
The Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack has S-shaped shoulder straps, a sternum strap that’s adjustable, and a breathable back panel with molded foam.
The product’s dimensions are 55cm x 35cm x 25 cm (21.7” x 13.8” x 9.8”). It weighs 0.92kg (2 pounds).
- Attachment Point
Each of the shoulder straps has a D-shaped hook, to attach small items. The frontal adjustable straps can also hang a tripod or trekking pole. The 6 adjustable straps can also accommodate a mat, sleeping bag, hammock, or other gear.
- Zipped Access
The zippered access at the bottom can also open up to the main compartment. The bag also has a hip belt that can fit hip circumferences from 25 to 53 inches.
The backpack comes with a 90-day limited warranty.
What We Liked About The Mountaintop 40L
- The fabric is water-resistant.
When camping, especially if you’re in the mountains, you can expect rain. Thus, the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack’s fabric prevents your gear from becoming drenched during a heavy downpour. The bag’s slippery surface allows the bag to resist water.
- The backpack has numerous pockets, which can accommodate separately your sleeping gear, photography gear, and sensitive equipment like memory cards, batteries, and mobile phones.
- The shoulder straps, which are padded, don’t exert pressure on your body as you carry the backpack. This helps you avoid blisters. The hip belt protects your lower back from the weight of the backpack. The backpack’s back area also cushions your spine, while allowing air to circulate and avoid heavy sweating.
- In case of mist or rain, the zips prevent water from entering the backpack. You don’t need to worry as your food won’t spoil and your clothes won’t get wet from the rain.
- The straps help you not to lose your balance if you’re traversing a narrow wooden bridge or something similar. In a nutshell, the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack is made of high-quality material, can carry multiple gear, is portable and easily accessible, and is water-resistant.
What We Didn’t Like
- The backpack may contain some unsightly loose stitches, which may prompt you to send it back for replacement.
- While waterproof, the backpack is not fire-proof because of its slippery surface.
- Some of the pockets may be too small to put stuff in, especially when it concerns camping gear.
- While the backpack has a 40-liter capacity, you may only be able to accommodate 30 to 35 liters’ worth of your goods in the larger pockets or compartments.
- Since the backpack is made of a water-resistant coating fabric, it’s not advisable to wash it with bleach or liquid detergent.
- If necessary, only clean with a wet cloth to get rid of dust.
- Air dry the cleaned backpack and don’t iron it.
For its features, durability, and specifications, the Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack is a steal with its $35 price tag. The material is waterproof and lightweight, which is an advantage when you’re camping, hiking, or traveling by airplane or bus.
The backpack comes with the features that you can expect from a durable backpack. There are numerous hooks, pockets, straps, and many other attachment and storage features.
The manufacturer may not be a well-known brand and the warranty may not be as flexible as the warranties of other established brands, but the quality is surprisingly good, and the bag is affordable. This is something that people look for, especially in hard times when they still want to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, like camping or hiking.
The Mountaintop 40 Liter Backpack is affordable, durable, convenient for extended weekend getaways, can carry a lot of equipment, can help you get organized, functional, comes in a lot of colors, and stylish. If you’re a moderate camper who goes on hiking trips several times a year, this backpack is for you.